Recently on my mind: Dun lose weight.

Previous Posts

Archives

More Bloggers


My CaReLeSs WhIsPeR-Think UNIT TRUST, Think Agnes

Saturday, November 12, 2005
Adapting
I’m the type of person who do not enjoy being in a totally new environment at all. I hate the process of adaptation, mind you. This workplace is still so foreign to me and I feel like I dun belong here yet. But I know time will change things so basically I’m juz learning to get use to everything around here as soon as I could! Arhh…new environment sucks.

Me and the other new intake operators had a one day orientation on Mon and we waited for about 3 hours in the training room for the program to start. I have wasted 3 precious hours doing nothing man. The delay was due to some HR and trainer thingy which I dun exactly know what. I was the only exempt stuff in that Monday intake group. For those who do not know what the diff between exempt and non-exempt, this is the definition taken from the employee handbook. Exempt-“Job comprises supervisory responsibilities and functions are professional in nature eg engineering assistant or engineer. Min edu req is a diploma or equivalent.” So, non-exempt are those operators and clerk with secondary level education. During the training, I was given a welcome gift. It’s a Cubic paperbag with a company’s mug, a log book and a pen inside. Non-exempt staff did not get that pack though.

I was shown my desk, well my cubicle to be exact. Not a room, unless I’m holding a position of a manager and that’s something to expect 10 years down the road hehe ;p My computer monitor sucks big time man! It’s an old Compaq monitor with a dull and dim screen. I have tried adjusted the brightness and contrast settings but no avail. I did some experimenting around though and caused the whole images of the screen went 90 degree to the left hahahaha and the technician had to come fix it. How I wish then I have screwed it so that they would give me a new one. Damn! How I wish they’d failed to fix it man! *Frus frus* Help!!

Other than my monitor which is not in a very good condition, other stuff have been ok so far. My CPU is a new one I guess coz it’s much better compared to the rest. I was given some stationary too. But not a pen holder....duh! Need to get one for myself now :-) My place is still very spacious and empty, so I plan to decorate it with some photos next week. I dun wan to pin my photos on the partition coz I dun wan any holes on my photo man, what a waste. So I guess some bringing some photo frames will do. Need to go get photo frames also now :p A fren asked me on the phone whose photo I’ll be putting. (fren, if u want me to put urs, I’ll consider lor hehe) Of coz my family photo. It’ll be so nice to think that your family is alwiz there for you, no matter what happen. It’s simply a wonderful feeling. So a family photo is a must hehe :-) Frens photo is smth not to be forgotten as well, so group photo of my good frens will definitely be there too. No more…that’s it. Oh yeah, should put up a photo of me and a fren I’m recently ‘paktoh’ with too. We smsed each other every night now and everytime we sms, we’d get a lil emotional that it kinda makes us both wanna cry and during one of the nights, we couldn't even call as we know either one of us or both would cry *sob sob* We miss each other’s company so much :-(

First few days were kinda boring. New environment, no frens, no work. I wasn’t being assigned any work at all, so basically I was merely playing around with my pc and lotus notes. (we use lotus notes there) The big office clock is hanging right in front of me and I juz stared at it, counting the hours and mins until it strikes 6 everyday. Oh yeah, the HR dept here is known as PM, which stands for ‘Personnel Management’. I’m sitted beside my immediate supervisor whom I‘ll be assisting from now on. She told me that there’s no such word as ‘subordinate’ for her and we’ll be working as colleagues/friends. However, a boss is still a boss, they will still keep an eye on you. After all, they are the ones who will conduct your performance appraisal.

I went to see the PM manager on my first day and she briefed me a lil about the dept. According to her, there will be no increment of salary upon confirmation but there will be review and bonus 3 times a year. How cool is that! She also mentioned that she expects me to perform becoz she said I really convinced them during the interview. *Oops* I then told her I will try my best. During lunch, my supervisor too told me that there are MMU grads came applying for this job. I had no idea about that man. She also said they’ve scrutinized carefully before selecting to make sure that the person holding this position will be able to work under difficult situation. Oh no, that’s mean it’s me man hahaha. With all of the support you all have given, I can do it :-)

Lunch culture here ain’t the same as Vishay nor Singtel. The good thing is that we have meal subsidy and we’re entitled for RM20 per month. The maximum amount we’re allowed to spend is RM1 per day. So basically it’s around 50% off for one lunch in Cubic. I was told that the RM1 would be forfeited if we do not use it on that particular day. They told me to go make use of that subsidy to buy some wafer or tissue instead haha and I did. Anyway, for lunch, we’d tapau food from the canteen then eat at our own table back in the office. How bored is that! Unlike in Vishay, we’d eat and talk (yeah gossip talk) in the training room haha. Then in singtel, me and cynthia would chat away non stop while eating in places like Yong Peng, Ordean, Italy Bakery, Wilson Chicken rice, or some aunty’s coffee shop. Miss all that! I will try to change things and implement new culture in Cubic then hahahaha…as if I could but who knows what will happen rite? Change it or adapt to it hehe.

Towards the end of the week, guess my colleagues have kinda already got used to seeing me, I can now talk to some of them. Could already make some trip to their table and look at the photos, talking and stuff. One of the gal actually asked if I was english ed coz of the way I speak. I juz told her my mother tounge is english as both my parents are english ed. Fyi, she is Robin Wong’s fren from UTM. I see…so she’s the one huh…

Ok…I’m sure there will be more things to blog about work starting from now. So stay with me and together we will explore and find out more about my new company! Adios~


Post a Comment